The School of Philosophy, Leeds

This project involved internal alterations and enhancements to a Grade II listed school building.  The building was originally constructed in 1912 as the St Matthew’s Parish Hall, to a design much influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement. It is built in a narrow red brick with diminishing coursed Westmorland slate pitched roofs.  It was listed Grade 2 in 1997 and is now owned by a philosophy based Charitable Trust, The School of Economic Science.

The project included the remodeling of the main hall with a new glazed mezzanine and glazed sliding/folding doors, enhancing the sense of space and the links to a new reception and servery.

The ornamental plasterwork of the hall is retained and extended to complete the detail of the feature ceiling panels and wall frieze against previously built partition walls. 

At the rear of the school, a new garden room and doorway improve links to the outside spaces.