The Old Corn Mill, Horsforth, Leeds


We have achieved full planning permission and listed building consent to rebuild a derelict corn mill and create new homes in a popular residential area of Leeds.

The Corn Mill building is a former water powered corn mill, built between 1772 and 1787 by William Wright.  The building is Grade II listed, but in a very poor state of repair, and only part of the building remains standing today.  The mill was originally water wheel powered, and was converted to steam power by the mid-19th century at which time the building was greatly extended along with a detached chimney and engine houses (since demolished).

The building was last used for storage and office space by Dickinson’s Auto Spares, a scrapyard that filled the surrounding land until the late 1990’s.  The building was listed in 1988, since which time the majority of the structure has been dismantled in the interest of safety and security. 

Today, the site is surrounded by a residential development which was completed in around 2006.  The current proposal to redevelop the mill for residential use will enhance the area and complete the transformation of this former industrial site.  The Corn Mill will provide 13 new apartments when completed.

Right and Below: Photos of the Corn Mill in 2015, prior to redevelopment